Sad, but true. Especially if that wall is your home page, Facebook wall, or email marketing campaign.
This has less to do with writing and more to do with people’s changing preferences and attention spans. If not writing, what do they want?
Video killed more than the radio star…
In fact, for more than a decade, video has killed anything that stands in its way. Let’s look at the new reality:
- 74 percent of all online traffic will be video by 2017.
- 70 percent of marketing professionals report that video converts better than any other medium. (Marketing Profs)
- Video on landing pages can increase conversions by 80 percent. (Unbounce)
- Video in an email can boost open rates by 20 percent and increase click-through rates by 200 to 300 percent. (Forbes)
- 59 percent of viewers will watch a video that is less than one-minute to completion. (Wistia)
- The average online use spends 88 percent more time on a website with a video (Mist Media)
- 64 percent of consumers are more likely to buy a product after watching a video about it. (comScore)
So the question now isn’t should you use video, it’s how effective do you want your video to be?
The top two video styles are very different: live, talking heads (real people); and animated whiteboard-style explainer videos.
What happens if you take a talking head video and go toe-to-toe with a whiteboard explainer video? One video scribing company did just that. Identical audio and identical lengths but one was “live” and one was whiteboard. Here’s what they found out:
- Those viewers who had seen the whiteboard video performed better in four out of five memory tests.
- The whiteboard video was three times more likely to be shared.
- The whiteboard video was over twice as likely to be recommended.
- Four out of ten whiteboard video viewers would have bought the service described in the video—twice as many as the talking head viewers.
Those are important findings—especially for the next time you’re considering video for your organization!
Actually, that last part is a lie. I'm being held captive against my will. Please help.